Saturday 19 October 2013

Recipe: Red Berry & White Chocolate Blondies

Until this month I had never made blondies. Actually, until this month I didn’t really even know what blondies were.
I know, I know.
The recipe I’m sharing today was given to me by a friend, hastily scribbled on a piece of paper and accompanied with the words “I don’t know if that’s actually correct but it looks about right…just have a mess about with it!”
So mess about I did, adding a little extra here and taking out a little there until I was happy with the result – a deliciously sweet, cakey and slightly chewy treat full of white chocolate chunks and juicy red berries that give a lovely tart bite to the whole thing.


I picked this up on a whim when I was grocery shopping, not really sure what I was going to use it for. I’m not ashamed to say that the entire tub went into my blondies. If you can find this or something like it then grab it while you can because these tubs make great ingredients for cakes, cookies and bars.


As I started to get the mixture together, at the beating butter and sugar stage, I was fairly concerned that it looked, well; a little like wet sand.

Not hugely appetizing, really! But please don’t let the appearance of the early stage of mixing the batter put you off. Once you start adding the eggs it takes on this lovely glossy sheen and of course once the flour goes in it looks absolutely fine!


Anyway! I shall stop waffling and give you all the recipe before I go and stick my head in the box currently housing my blondies. Just to make sure they’re all still there, of course…

8 tablespoons unsalted butter – melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
pinch salt
Melt the butter in 15 second intervals in the microwave and line an 8”x8” square pan and preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Mix the melted butter with sugar and beat until smooth.
Beat in the egg, blending thoroughly and then add in the vanilla extract.
Add in a pinch of salt and then sift in the flour.
At this stage, you can add in whatever additions you’re using – my berry and white chocolate mix went in here.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and then bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cool completely before cutting into squares. Before cutting you can melt some chocolate (I used white) and drizzle it over the blondies. Refrigerate for a few minutes to set the chocolate and then cut into squares.


Vesta xox

No comments:

Post a Comment